Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Eucharisteo

This is only a prologue of the book that could catch "bethanitely" up with where I am. Life hit hard -- luckily I was prepared for a good, hard, life-hit. I know because I tweeted this a week ago:

Chuck Jones just painted a hill-tunnel-train coming towards me. It'll flatten my cartoon body and I'll role off screen. Ehh, what's up, doc?

Bugs Bunny was the man. Well, he was the rabbit. But he was the rabbit.

In speaking of rabbits, I'd like to remark that I'm thankful for moments like rabbit spottings while gardening. It's one of the only times I'm allowed to have an obnoxiously loud, high voice. Today, I named a shivering little bunny Thumper. Thumper almost got eaten by the dog. But now he's safe, Diva is asleep in her doggy-bed, and the weeds have been rudely awakened from their beds. All is well. Except maybe for the weeds.

I'm thankful for so many moments. Now that I'm reading this absolutely delightful book called One Thousand Gifts (Yes, yes, I recommend!), I'm diving deeper into the concept of thankfulness. Eucharisteo is where the author, Voskamp, decided to set up camp -- right there in the Greek. Grace and thanks and joy... all wrapped in that Greek "eo" burrito. I wish I could explain. I can explain! But later, later, later.

There are mason jars filled with flowers in the guest room of the Conner house. Some of the black eyed Susans have bowed out, but the rest are still kickin' after a week. Next to one of the jars sits a recipe moleskine -- another gift. I can't wait to fill it. Next to the moleskine is coiled a bike lock, which I will latch to Karen Conner's bike all year long -- unless I'm heading to class or going on a little bike ride of my own. I could never properly elaborate how giddy this borrowed item makes me. I could bubble right over.

The past week and a half has been weddings and card games and Planet Earth and hurricanes and delicious food and dog barking and theological discussions and quite a bit of smiling. And I will elaborate, but for now I'm filled only with thoughts of grace and joy and thanksgiving. So I'll let those ideas punctuate the page.

1 comment: