Monday, April 11, 2011

Unit Powwow

There were 12 of us. We frolicked to the track and had a reflection walk around the track. Carrie heard we left, and sprinted across the parking lot to join us.

We sat in a circle and shared our burdens, insecurities, and lessons learned. No one talked long, but everyone was vulnerable. There was a common denominator of trust and feeling unloved or unlovable or unworthy. What a frickin' lie. These young women are so, so, so valuable.

THEN we joined a couple on top of the baseball dugout hahaha -- we shared moments of joy and thankfulness. I wish I had some way to express how thankful I am for these girls. I wish I had words that would assure them how much better college gets. How being vulnerable and not being afraid of breaking makes the healing and the growing seem like the best thing EVER. How they've got the most unique personalities and gifts that are a BLESSING. I wish I could hand them my God-shaped glasses so they could see how beautiful they are. Man, they are beautiful.

On our way back, a couple girls got ankle deep in the retention pond. Their reserve and giddiness just got to me: I dove in. We were in the middle of everybody getting in when a cop drove slowly by. So we moseyed on back to North.

Carrie, Kendra, Shannon, Chelsea, Jess, Hailey, Rachel, Reghan, Casey, Cat, Ashley, and Mary Beth. Great moments.

2 comments: