Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Of Being Far Too Much For Myself

"But, my God, my soul has horizons further away than those of early mornings, deeper darkness than the nights of earth, higher peaks than any mountain peaks, greater depths than any sea in nature. You who are the God of all these, be my God. I cannot reach to the heights or to the depths; there are motives I cannot discover, dreams I cannot realize. My God, search me." Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest
"I love the idea that my soul is spiritual, and one of the things (if not the thing) that makes me created in your image. I have never thought about it as something deep or wide... I think of my soul as something small (confined to my body) and complex -- like a spiritual rubik's cube. Something I can know the tricks for and be familiar with and eventually figure out. I've never thought of my soul being the setting of an ADVENTURE!" My Prayer Journal

No wonder I cannot figure myself out.
No wonder I cannot fix myself.
No wonder I need God and others.

"No mind was so good that it did not need another mind to counter and equal it; to save it from conceit and blindness and bigotry and folly." Charles Williams, The Place of the Lion (Thanks, Mary Leimgruber! You're a peach!)

1 comment: