Thursday, July 11, 2013

Judgement Confessional

Here's the deal. I'm the oldest I've ever been, so I think I know a lot. I find myself judging people my age -- young adults. People who defend themselves by saying, "I'm grown." People who have fickle values and who model themselves after the entertainment industry. This is my confession: I judge.

I know a lot of "young adults," though. Obviously. I have friends and peers. Many who've had hard lives and no stability. It sucks to pick and choose who's going to influence you as a kid. Nobody deserves that. Nobody deserves dead-beat dads or addict moms. Nobody deserves being pushed aside. Nobody should have to find solace with pushers or manipulators because they accept people they can use.

Survival of the fittest in my generation. For those with parents, that means you'd better succeed for yourself because you've got to achieve to be anything. For those without parents, that means you'd better be tough because life's not on your side -- look tough, talk tough, and walk proud because you're tough.

Either way, my generation's walking into a life of individualism that sucks:

  • Don't love people if it hurts your image. 
  • Be loyal when it helps your image. 
  • Be caring when it's convenient. 
  • Hey, definitely keep a meticulous record of wrongs, because you'll probably need to use that later.
  • People suck. I do too, but I'm going to mask that behind my perfectly manicured identity. I'm a player. I'm an athelete. I'm the one everybody needs. I'm desirable. I've got class. I've got swagger. I've got something, so you'd best not step on me. ... Please... don't step on me.
We've all got brokenness in common. I judge others' brokenness. I judge the identities they've picked to keep themselves motivated. Judgement is the one thing we're all trying to avoid... so I guess it's not helping anybody. 

My confession is that I judge my peers. My ambition is to love my peers. 

1 comment: