Wednesday, December 17, 2014

100

School ends this Friday. Two days left. Today, I logged my 100th hour of student engagement- intentionally hanging out with students outside the classroom. Mentoring or just being an encourager. That averages out to 5 hours a week. 

I had a thought. If I was paid for that extra time, I'd get a $725 bonus check. But we aren't paid to hang out with students. We are encouraged to do so, so that we can help motivate them to graduate and move forward in life. Getting to hear their stories, frustrations, and thoughts are worth more than money. They are priceless children of God. Their lives have often been hectic, tragic, and complicated. They are both interesting and heart-breaking. Homelessness, addiction, molestation, divorce, murder, prostitution, pregnancy, poverty, abandonment are words that widely sweep over their situations. At least one of those things have impacted them. Anger, rebellion, and depression have oppressed them. Many have been labeled with disorders and impairments- sometimes I wonder how many of those things are spiritual oppression. I pray, knowing that for some everything- EVERYTHING- would have to change in order for them to move forward. 

I've changed how I pray for them (and myself) recently. I still pray for better jobs and better relationships and better habits and better situations, but that is not the central prayer. I have experienced many of those betters, but I am still nothing without Christ. I can have everything, but still feel hopeless without Christ. Why would I pray that they only receive more money? Money can be exchanged for many things of value, but Christ IS everything of value. And, ironically, He can provide everything, including money. 

Why pray for patience? Give me Christ. Why pray for a peaceful classroom? Give me Christ. Why pray for diplomas or healing? We need Christ. And in His outpouring, He will discern what we need: maybe patience or peace or achievement or healing.

When there is conflict, when there is chaos, when there is failure, when there is pain... there can still be Christ. Those things can lead to Him. Once led to Him, the things that truly need fixed will be fixed. I have to trust that everything else will be carried on to perfection when God sees fit.

I want so many things in my classroom. This quarter, I have seen few of them. I have been disrespected or cussed out almost every day. I have been lied to and taken advantage of; I have cleaned up nasty messes and had kind, patient words shoved back in my face. I don't want these things. But Christ said this would happen. That's encouraging to me: that means I'm doing something right. Something Christ might do if He had studied education instead of carpentry. 

This semester has been an academic nightmare. I would call us failures. I would call myself a failure. But, knowing that the only thing... The only thing... The ONLY thing that matters is loving God and loving people... I am not allowed to claim failure. I know our love has not always been recieved or noticed. I know our love has been self-conjured sometimes. I know our love has been overshadowed by frustration or mismatched priorities. I also know God has shown through us,
Despite our many shortcomings. He has worked, even when we have not. He is moving. 

A student told me he doesn't know what he thinks about Christians, but the people at the Crossing seem to actually act like Christ did.

A bright agnostic student with a difficult past met God and began requesting Scriptures and themes for family time discussion.

A student struggling with deep anger found peace in God's embrace during a retreat and realized He was different and more meaningful than drugs.

I have only seen a handful move actively toward Christ, but I have seen them change as Christ interacted with them.

A student who consistently broke the rules (and the law) became cautious and disciplined. 

A student who planned to drop out decided to stay, work hard, and be an encourager to the teachers.

Students with histories of fighting have clenched their fists and kept their noses clean. 

Students with histories of cussing out teachers have become respectful and helpful allies in the classroom.

I could probably go on. Little anecdotes and epic moments pepper the semester, often hidden beneath piles of paperwork, exhaustion, oppression, and complaining. But they are there. Christ is at work. And He is what matters.


2 comments: