Wednesday, March 28, 2012

In reflecting, I have connected today's dots

Michael will be so proud of me when/if he reads this: The book One Thousand Gifts is a mind-shifter. Thankfulness reinforced by the concept of eucharisteo runs rampant throughout, challenging even the Content audience to find grace and joy everywhere. I would definitely recommend the read. Today, as Mike shared his love for Anne Voskamp's book (AGAIN - but a welcome motif), I thought about my attitude towards

graduation deadlines and
student teaching responsibilities and
teacher certification requirements and
a new Jimmy John's job and
life.

I have this PSYCHOLOGY-101-tendency to label these things "stressors." Since they're stressors, I'm allowed to stress about them and feel anxious and have negative emotional and physical responses to them. The books say I can. The books.

Anne's book reminds me that God's book says that I have freedom. I have a not-secret secret. I have Someone sharing life's yoke. I have a Sabbath in Christ. I can rest in Him. I am not chained to worry. I am unbound by worship. He has given me the ability to trust in Him. He has given me the ability to live in Jubilee now and look forward to Jubilee in full later. Soon.

-I am thankful for school. I look forward to this next (slightly ambiguous) chapter in life.
-I am thankful for work. I look forward to gaining experience as well as not needing this particular job forever.
-I am thankful for funny, supportive friends and a goofy, talented boyfriend and all the venues of worship at school.
-I am thankful for church. I am thankful for learning how to be in relationship (in 1000 senses of the word).
-I am thankful for small group and meeting God in liturgy and meeting God in lectio divina and meeting God in memorization and meeting God in service.

I am thankful.

"I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation..."
...and it is through Him.

2 comments: