Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Oh dear. Another *eh* quick write.

I'm a coaster this semester --
not coasting, but rolling

up ticking inclines
(wringing bars and wishing for seat belts)

and down helpless drops
(clinging hard and thinking of everythingandnothing).

I can't feel out a rhythm
because we're not allowed to stop

but I see a pattern in
the turns and shifts and drops

and I'm a mess. A passenger
who thought I was in control because

I got in line. But
I was out of line to think I could handle this alone.

So thank the Lord I'm not alone and
thank the Lord I've got this home and
thank the Lord when I adjust to

turns and bumps and
don't yack my guts.

This track would be easier to predict
if it had an iamb or a rhyme,
but that doesn't mean I can't handle

free verse.


No comments:

Post a Comment