Tuesday, March 13, 2012

a (written) spoken word poem

Today he parked his car outside my building
and said, in all seriousness, 
Whenever you're ready
As though he'd wait forever for me
to shuffle out that door,
all ruffled hair and tipping coffee and books and bags and
unprepared, but ready
(enough)
for the day.
Wait forever happily,
just to keep himself from being another thing on my mind 
when my hands were already full.
How sweet of him to send a text
when piled atop my flyaways perched invisible
lesson plans and chalky concepts and post it notes.
To send a text as if to say,
Can I carry something for you?
Like the old days when guys were guys and girls were dolls.
And so even when I'm not dolled up
or slept up or brushed up,
I'm up and on the up this morning 
because he checked up and picks me up
and is anything but a disr up tion
on the way to school.

Today they didn't say they hated me --
to my face.
They didn't roll their eyes --
to my knowledge.
They smiled sweetly when they didn't mean it,
which means a lot to me
because they pretended to try. And while
they didn't love the test,
they tried their best
and asked their questions. Questions like, "What's the answer to number 2?"
Today they only locked me out in the hall
when I needed to talk to my absentees in the hall anyway
and when I keyed back in, they didn't look at me like Frankensteins --
the little monsters I created when I told them,
"I'm going to make you do work."
Today they only cussed a little,
and not at me.
So why wouldn't I thankfully smile at them
as they handed me their work
and assure them I'd be back tomorrow?
Of course I would. Today my juniors 
were almost angels.

Today I blasted music, trotting barefoot 
back and forth on years of linoleum grime
that I'm sure facilitates the learning.
I hefted books and sang old songs,
yearning for the concept that 
reorganizing the layout of the room
would help them love the new unit. 
I want them to cooperate as I teach them about social rebellion
and be quiet as I lecture on loud-mouths
who were smart enough to ignore people who called them loud-mouths.
I want them to think quietly to themselves
as I tell them to express their identities
through words and colors and voices. Choices
will have to be made about pedagogy, since they'll call me a hypocrite.
But I thought about that as I trotted
barefoot back and forth. 
And I think I'll bridge that chasm. That schism
between me and them that's supposed to be bridged
with motivation, but the economy or the family or --
what are people saying now? The government? Something's 
closed that off...
Anyway, I'll bridge that gap
by giving a couple inches on the leash 
as I talk them a walk around Harlem's parks
and card sharks and rebellious barks.
I'll let them be rebellious, expressive loud-mouths. At times. 
And when they lark too long, I'll sigh
and remind myself how great the room looks
and tell them to open their books.

Today it was 850 degrees outside.
Well, 70. But here -- and in March, 70 is just the same as
triple digits. All our fidgets are out the window
as windows fly open and frisbees fly
freely and blankets spread neatly
on the grass that's finally dry.
Today, we ate outside
and laughed about our relatives
and spoke in silly accents
until a cold breeze said, "The ide's aren't here
but it's still March," and we marched
ourselves indoors, happy that we could pretend
it was spring, if only for a moment.

1 comment:

  1. hmm, hmm, friend. this is good.

    bethany, keep keeping your chin up in that classroom. you're a good teacher.

    p.s. mike, you A+

    ReplyDelete