Saturday, May 26, 2012

Harry Potter brings up some philosophizing

The quintessential moment in Harry Potter -- the moment he realizes he must die and walks towards his death. I sobbed as I watched the movie moment with Kayla, Kyla, Anne, and Rachel. I am utterly convinced that self-sacrifice and resurrection are the ULTIMATE plot points. The most epic moves a character could make. I think the depth of these two concepts have been planted far within us. We respect stories like this and love like this and long to be a part of something so... much. So weighty. 

It's ridiculously fascinating that we are. 

A pause occurs in Harry Potter. Right after Harry reveals that he is alive by jumping out of Hagrid's arms, the crowd of people that believed in him stare. When this happened, I said out loud, "GO! He's alive! Move!" The audience wants the "good guys" to react and band behind Harry. 

I pull the "screen" back farther, into big-picture reality, and see a supernatural audience watching the Church as they pause before the reality that Christ is risen. I think heaven spends a lot of time shouting excitedly, "He's alive! MOVE!" knowing that we have a gap of time to make an impact.

3 comments:

  1. I'm flattered you included me-- I'm pretty sure I fell asleep during the opening credits. But it's okay, I've read the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you both. I'm glad when we share moments. Even when we're asleep. I've shared a lot of asleep moments with you. hahaha :)

      Delete