Sunday, May 20, 2012

Stewardship: Pre-Carol or Post-Carol Scrooge?

In church, Chris talked about what our "resources" look like. The stuff with which we should be "good stewards." Resources are material, definitely. But they're also very immaterial: our talents, passions, abilities, time.

Through parables, Christ rebuked the man who buried what he was given. He praised the men who used the gifts -- who took risks and emptied what they were given into something that could pan out. God is not interested in our desire to be safe. God has assured mankind that worry is unnecessary. That safety is in Him.

I, therefore, can pour out my gifts. I must give under the mindset that God is an unquenchable supply of everything and will refill me. I am not meant to present little bits of perfection from myself. Those tidbits of help or love or service help my reputation more than they help those whom I am serving. As someone with a lot of gifts, talents, and abilities, I have been given a responsibility. I am meant to risk my reputation of "that person who is good at a lot." I am meant to rely wholly on God so that my priorities stay straight and so that I am renewed.

I've been wanting to get involved in our church in a more central role. I have dreaded the idea that I would be "stuck" into children's church. I've done that for a decade and wanted to teach on a more mature level. I was thinking about this as Chris began to say things like, "We're afraid to offer our services because we're afraid people will have us use our gifts in a way that we don't enjoy. Or that won't work out. And it will make us look bad." That is so true. I want to be used in just the right way to prove that I'm good at what I do. I'm giving this perspective to God. This summer He will purify me of that. I will offer myself without concern of my reputation. The current implications of this will affect how I am involved with my lovely home, my lovely church, and my hopefully-lovely job.

Do you feel stingy with your resources? 
Do you fully invest without concern for your reputation or the possibility of little failures? 
Do you trust that God will renew your resources if you pour them out freely? 
Summer challenge.
Maybe it could turn into a life challenge. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment