Monday, November 8, 2010

a toast for toast

You found it amazing when I embraced you in your vulnerability.
It was God, yes. But remember-
long before I accepted your all
you welcomed my silly putty self.
You- spilling over with opinions and passions and interests;
with connections, friends, and street smarts.
Me- with shreds of identity leftover from life experiences;
superglued together with a matte layer of sarcasm.

You're a critic. You've got a Nick shaped filter
and I've no clue how I slipped through-
and through- and through-
I'd been waiting to slide down some side-shoot
to leave room for someone better.
You like to keep company with the best.
But you find the most unique bests-
you're a true scout. Especially when you decided on God's company.

You're one of my best friends.
You've got talent and vision and an eye for potential:
something you saw in me.
Encourager. Accepter. Giver. Laugher.
I hope living the life of an artist
focuses your God's-eye vision of the world. Of you. Of others.

Happy 21st birthday. Make good choices, keep good company, laugh good laughs. Here's to a blessed 21 years, and here's hoping God gives you 21 more.

1 comment: