Sunday, October 16, 2011

spontaneous!

My dad was in Detroit visiting family. A measly 4 hours away. 29 hours closer than usual. SO! Mike and I drove up to surprise him. My grandparents, aunt, and uncle were in on the ruse.

We were a half an hour late, and my grandma tried to stall my dad from going to my uncle's house by pretending to call people on the phone. I didn't know she was such a trickster! She also told us that she needed to go to the drug store to pick up a muscle magazine so that she could cut out a picture of a muscle woman to make a card for her physical therapists. She's graduating from the rehab program for her shoulder. She also joked about using a playboy magazine: Mike, my dad, and I all covered our faces in shock.

Surprising dad was so much fun. I knew he was excited when he brought us a pizza after he dropped grandma back off at her house and stayed with us at my uncle's house. It was 11 pm and he bought a pizza. He took so long in the place that my uncle texted him, "Are you applying for a job??" There was much laughter that night: my uncle's full of "yucks," my dad is big on puns, and we watched Brian Regan.

The next morning, dad attempted to get us coffee. Since he didn't have a car, he wandered (with zero sense of direction) down the street in the pouring rain until he had to give up and come back. He, my uncle, Mike, and I went to Cracker Barrel. Mike got down to 2 pegs on the tee-game. My dad and I got down to 3.

After watching the Michigan/Michigan State game, dad left for the airport and we did homework. Grandma took us to Big Boys. We watched the neighbor's tree collapse onto his house. And then we took off. Mike was the DJ, so we jammed to classic rock, R&B, and some smooth John Mayer.

We hung out at East Lodge for a bit, attempted to find the tree frog that Zach had caught and then accidentally let loose, and talked about the classy Illinois fans with Jordan. The most eventful two days I've had this semester.

"Do you know if anyone owns an American Green Tree frog? Because I found one in the recycling room and they aren't native to Marion." -Zach Arneson, text

5 comments:

  1. What a great weekend! I wish I could have been in your pocket :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne, the amount of times that I have wanted to PUT you in my pocket. I could take you out and you could dance on a teacup saucer and I would feed you rolos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad surprising your dad worked out well. also. zach's quote is why we're friends. duh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy that you got to see your dad! Sounds like an awesome weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. can i be your grandma's new best friend?

    ReplyDelete