Friday, March 11, 2011

Me harping

Lindsay and I are leaving tomorrow. It was originally going to be 6 am, but she was gracious enough to push it back to 6:30 ;) So I'm pumped to leave! Ready to go! Wooo!

One of my favorite 9 hour drives happened to be when I was at the wheel and Matt and Shelty were with me. Matt, the not-people-person introvert, took it upon himself to ask questions like "What house would you be if you were in Harry Potter?" and "If you were a musical instrument, what would you be and why?" Matt honestly asked those questions for a good 5 or 6 hours. And we all played. The whole time. On that trip, I got one of the biggest insults and the biggest compliments in one answer, by Shelty Price.

Shelty told me she had a GREAT answer for me about instruments. She told me not to be offended. I held the wheel 10 and 2, and shut my mouth. She said,

"Bentie. You're a harp. You wanna know why, Bentie? Bentie, it's because when people first see you, they're like 'What the heck is that? How do you even play it??' But then after they get to know you, and learn how you work, you make the most beautiful, unique music. ... See, Bentie? You're a harp!"

Matt didn't hear a single word after "What the heck is that?" He spent the next 20 minutes laughing. Ever since that moment, I think I knew Shelty was one of my best friends.

So at moments like this, when I feel like I'm especially awkward, tall, nerdy, and uninteresting, I remember Shelty's words.

2 comments:

  1. You are a harp. You are a penguin. I like to listen to your music-- it's honestly one of my favorites. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Funny. I didn't even hear this story. Also, great title : )

    ReplyDelete