Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Discourse On Three Items

On Teaching
I met my cotton-candy-sweet cooperating teacher. I'll be working with her next semester for three hundred and twenty hours. What a relief, then, that she is encouraging, friendly, flexible, and organized!

Someone once told me that I was going to be like Miss Frizzle from The Magic School Bus. I think... they meant it as a compliment. I wonder what Miss Frizzle would have been like as a student teacher?

On Heroes
Wilbur Williams sat down and had an impromptu conversation with me today. He told me to trust God with my future and to pray over my options. I melted into a puddle in the middle of Noggle. They had to get a mop.

There's an individual who walks around campus, and I just realized his "pattern." He always wears superhero paraphernalia. Always. I've seen him with a batman shirt and a superman shirt and superhero pajama pants and a spiderman ski mask... Not all at the same time, though. Goodness, no. I wonder if that's all because of the movie fad or if he's just a hard-core comic book junky? Or! Maybe he just likes bold primary colors, onomatopoeic exclamations, and interesting logos? I'll probably never know.

On Retirement
Maybe I'm over the moon because I've been living in a freshman dorm all these years: I've lived in that particular cave of Plato's and only now have I entered into the light. Or maybe it's completely normal. Either way, I love living in the Lodges. I love being able to cook and decorate and visit and have visitors. I love being able to leave and not feel like a shepherd leaving her flock (which, of course, was a feeling, and not a reality). I love having a bike to use and a suite of busy friends to say hello to... it's all loved. Now, normally, I wouldn't freely condone the use of the word love in such a loose way. But I will clarify and say that in this context, "greatly enjoy" could be substituted for love.

Since I've retired, I only have homework to do. :) But I still have to DO it! So off I go!

1 comment: