Saturday, October 20, 2012

I'm Learning

"... Of course we all 'have knowledge,' as you say. This 'knowledge' breeds conceit; it is love that builds. If anyone fancies that he knows, he knows nothing yet, in the true sense of knowing. But if a man loves, he is acknowledged by God." -Paul the Apostle, as quoted by Elisabeth Elliot

Knowing friends might lessen the desire to pursue relationship with them. I'm learning that with my housemates. I thought I understood relationship. These girls are [lovingly] teaching me that I'm a dummy when it comes to closeness -- intimacy. What the HECK.

"The disposition... to leave the dearest objects of our hearts in the sublime keeping of the general and unspecific belief that God is now answering our prayers in His own time and way, and in the best manner, involves a present process of inward crucifixion which is obviously unfavorable to the growth and even the existence of the life of self." -T.C. Upham, as quoted by Elisabeth Elliot

But then, guess what -- you can't just learn to be close in relationship. You must learn to put that relationship repeatedly in God's hands. "God, Rachel was such a gift to me today. I want to put her in my pocket forever. ... I give my relationship with her back to you." Like that. ;)

I finished Passion and Purity last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment