Tuesday, May 10, 2011

So long, cum laude

The numbers are official, and my pride has been exploded into pieces. I won't graduate with honors. I've got my academic scholarship and I'm well above requirements for my degree... but I won't be "Bethany Mueller, cum laude." Freshman and sophomore year, I thought I'd graduate with magna cum laude. But this past year kicked me in the butt.

Here I am graduating with honors from high school. As I walked to center-stage and they read my accomplishments, my cap started to fall off. I was a goof, but I was smart.
I've been tested as an achiever -- it's high on my priority list. I like to be credited with what I've done well. And college has been a humbling process (of both failing at things and of not being credited with things). But a really good humbling process. So instead of this cum laude thing being the end of my world, it's just a little jab. Little tender.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Bethany. I just love you. I struggled with those similar feelings as I walked across the stage a couple weekends ago, cordless. It's a humbling experience, for sure.

    Remember though, God has blessed you with gifts and talents beyond those silly material possessions. He has blessed you with a beautiful and loving heart.

    Don't worry, you'll be remembered : )
    (whether you are cordless or not, I don't think will be remembered)

    love you.

    ReplyDelete