Wednesday, December 22, 2010

contented sigh of relief

I had a problem titling this blog post. I started to write "ahhh" to represent a contented sigh of relief. But written out, that could translate into a frustrated "ahhh" or a freaked out "ahhh" or a hurt "ahhh" or an I'm-looking-at-something-pretty "ahhh." All and all, I realized that "ahhh" doesn't clearly represent relief. Then I thought about "mmm," but that's more of a satisfaction thing -- am I hungry or what? It was in the middle of the "B" section of an alphabetical list of Onomatopoeic Words that I realized the jig was up. Hence the title, "contented sigh of relief."

Today I read my Bible and prayed properly. It was a breath of sweet, fresh air. I'd been off center. I wasn't properly anchoring myself to God, so everything was off-kilter. Frank Peretti's analogy of a chair is one of my favorites in that regard. Well, it felt lovely. I found my journal of life-verses and thoughts that I had started over the summer. I'll make sure to bring that to IWU.

I also sewed up my other sleeve: I've had this shirt from Thrift Town that's very soft and comfy, but much to large. I sewed up one of the sleeves at the beginning of the year, but things got busy. So every once and a while, I would shuffle around the dorm in a big, unevenly-sleeved t-shirt. I don't think people noticed... they would've given me loose change or something if they had.

I've decided on what I'm going to do for gifts. I am not a gifty person, but many little birdies have told me about the gifts that are coming my way from friends, and soooo -- I will return the material love, in my own way.

We watched Dial M for Murder. My mom, dad, and I. Alfred Hitchcock is a genius. I've always thought it and will always say it. I am not a fan of suspense and horror, but the classiness of his movies and the way he revolutionized film and story -- awesome. He's also quite the card himself. Hilarious, dry humor. He could dry and press a bouquet of flowers with one quippy remark.

I bought some Glenn Miller music today. Big band music, black and white movies... those used to be what I was allllll about. The affection's still there, but I've just grown and become less elitist in taste haha :) If only Brave at Sea had an album out!!

1 comment: