Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Alms? Alms for educators adept in English?

Can I just say that the government's competitive desire for science and math teachers is good, but their underestimation of the need for more/better English teachers is ridiculous. English teachers can be "good" because they can easily make the classroom fun, but the potential that they let slip through their fingers is unnerving.

Students can "pass" English naturally -- but language, communication, creativity, critical thinking... it's all being overrun by technology. And people are okay with this because the scores keep up.

There's so much more to English -- I just wish my importance as a good educator in general would be acknowledged. ... monetarily.

It's just going to take longer to pay my loans off.

So I've done what I always do when I start to worry about something: I do lots of research and pinpoint a tentative plan of action. Now I feel better. AND you know what? God will provide. I'm not going to starve and goodness knows jobs exist if you're willing to go places.

1. Begin working at a school that qualifies for the Teacher Loan Forgiveness Program. Work on getting into Teach for America. There are plenty of schools in Grant County, Kalamazoo, and the Bay Area.

2. Transfer to a Teach for America school that still qualifies for the TLFP. The qualifications should intersect beautifully.

3. Consider applying for APLE before 3rd year of teaching... this would require me to live in California...

2 comments:

  1. do I hear Grant County? Live with me! Be my roommate forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I were to make the decision RIGHT NOW... that's what I would do.

    I just never count my chickens before they hatch.

    And I never put my eggs in the same basket.

    ... my psyche's obviously raising a lot of poultry.

    ReplyDelete