Monday, July 4, 2011

be vewy vewy quiet, i'm hunting poems

I'm on a hunt. A hunt for poetry. I'm a poetry juggernaut. I'm racing through names and crashing through walls of work with quick yes-no judgements. I'll find my gems and stuff them into my pockets and run on.

An excerpt from Billy Collins (I like the way he thinks), "Forgetfulness"

The name of the author is the first to go
followed obediently by the title, the plot,
the heartbreaking conclusion, the entire novel
which suddenly becomes one you have never read,
never even heard of,
as if, one by one, the memories you used to harbor
decided to retire to the southern hemisphere of the brain,
to a little fishing village where there are no phones.

2 comments:

  1. Beats


    Smooth, constant,
    committed to the cause;

    give me the beats.

    That feeling that comes from our
    guts guts guts,

    what is to compare?

    Bind me to a life,
    b-bum b-bum b-bum

    Even music cannot relate;

    songs grow faint, hands get tired, voices crack,
    out of tune.

    Like a quiet mother’s heart, always caring, never interfering,
    until it
    stops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know, I think I like both of those :-)

    ReplyDelete