Monday, May 10, 2010

dream jobs

The concept of being a detective has mesmerized me ever since I was yay-high. Not a real look-at-bloody-pictures-all-day detective, an old school book-derived detective. An enthusiast of mystery like Basil of Baker Street, an eye for the elementary like the great Sherlock Holmes... a humorous quick thinker like... Robert Downey Jr? Well, 2 out of 3.

It started when I listened to Jungle Jam... and then Adventures in Odyssey. It continued into teen-hood. It still exists now. Voice acting. There are so many nuances to the voice that people don't consciously notice. So many elements play into a voice -- so many characteristics, habits... I have a tendency to listen to people's voices. To imitate someone's voice is to notice the subtle part of their being that makes them heard. To voice act is to project a character using only sound. It is an art.

I wrote my first full book when I was 7 or 8 years old. It's still on my bookshelf. It's about horses, naturally. When I was 14, I typed up 30 pages of my first real shot at a novel. Life happened and motivation waned, unfortunately. I watched What's-His-Name publish Eldest at age 19, ripping apart my half-dream to be the youngest successfully published author in America. [Mini-rant: I really disliked Brisingr, though. Which was comforting. Somebody get that guy an editor. Are you being paid by the word? Shooot. I stopped in the middle.] Even though age 19 has slipped by, I still think about writing something...

No comments:

Post a Comment