Wednesday, May 26, 2010

snacks made easy

SO. I was hungry and it was like 11 pm. No snack opportunities in the cabinet... no snack opportunities in the fridge...

I'm not going to go out and get ingredients for anything... I'm not going to go out and get fast food or anything... it's late...

So I think, "What can I whip up real fast with what I already have?"

It comes to me. Peanut butter balls. I look it up on foodgawker.com and all of the recipes have them covered in chocolate -- all the more reason to make them. All I need? Shoot, peanut butter and margarin. Next to cheese, those are the only ingredients I KNOW we have.
By some sick twist of fate, however, we're out of margarin. OUT. I can't use that salted butter crap in my peanut butter balls!

So now I'm set on the idea and I go into "mission mode." I grab a brother, a money, a key; I leave a note on the front door. SAFEWAY! We're disoriented. We find everything but butter. Yogurt -- toilet paper -- Lunchables -- where's the butter?? .... Um, it's next to the cheese products. Hellew.

We return. Ben goes to sleep like a good school boy. I switch on a hulu episode of Friends while I mix up the three ingredients it takes to make these suckers. It only takes me an hour to mix, sift, roll, chill, melt, dip, and fridge-isize them. Fridgisizing is the late night version of refrigerating stuff.

I had some chocolate left over in the pan, so I poured it over some Crispix and ate that instead of a peanut butter ball.

3 comments:

  1. foodgawker=lifesaver....I can't wait for this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look suspiciously like something we Midwesterners affectionately refer to as "Buckeyes."

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha..oh bethany, this makes me smile so much :)

    ReplyDelete