Friday, February 25, 2011

I am a spectator of mad motion

Notifications of leadership, staff, and mentoring positions went out. There are squeaky pops and hollow puffs everywhere... I can almost hear the releases of energy. Completely ambivalent bursts come from new-comers; experienced leaders rush in and out of knowing predictions, excitements, sympathies.

Yesterday, Anne and I walked across wet, green grass to get to the chapel for the housing meeting. Today, I could take no short cuts through the snow to get to my midterm. The weather has mood-swung in a big, rollercoaster-esque SWOOP.

Kayla's dad is passing through from a far away land. The happy change is another stomach swing for a good friend.

The late night study session melted and oozed into my bed, where I woke up late. I slipped all the way to Elder, one step after another: slip, slip, slip, slip. The slides became familiar and I didn't bother to take my hands out of my pockets for balance.

The H.E.L. test held its elbow above its head and, with one hefting drive, squashed my brain and my dignity into the table in front of me. I wiped blood and guts off of the packet so I could ashamedly write my name at the top.

Emily's relief is pulsating throughout campus like an atom bomb. She can't wait to be on duty with me. She can't wait to be roommates with Paige. She can't wait to take her midterm.

And now my brain is Simba. And I'm looking out over the plains, and my conscience is telling me that everything the light touches is work that I have to get done. I think about the implications of that, then wish I was a lion cub in Africa instead of a student in Indiana.

A chapel speaker spoke some great truths and good reminders to us all this week. The generational gap and his lack of excitement, however, did not maximize the material. He was older, and very content in the truths he had discovered, but not overtly eager to show us the joy he had initially found. I wish I could've jumped on stage and shared stories of freedom and miraculous realizations and specific applications for people our age. But for some reason, I am a 21 year old English education student and not an intelligent seminary grad. So I will sit in my chapel seat and discuss God's love to the less-than-masses. :)

Now! I will write my quiz for Brit Lit! I will GO to Brit Lit! I will get out of Brit Lit! And I will probably take a nap or something! Let the weekend commence!

No comments:

Post a Comment