Saturday, June 26, 2010

the end of an era

I watched Toy Story for the first time in theaters with my dad. I was five. I remember he laughed throughout the movie and the more he laughed the more I laughed. When we got home, I told mom all the funny parts my dad laughed at and alllll the funny parts I laughed at. I used to imitate the little green aliens with my tiny, high pitched voice...

This morning, Shelty was so gracious to watch Graham so dad and I could see Toy Story 3 in theaters. It was a little bit ironic, because we had seen it when I was little-Andy sized and now we watched it together in theaters when I was older than old-Andy -- already in college, already choosing what to keep and get rid of from childhood. I'd heard the movie was a tear-jerker, so I was prepared throughout the movie. 3/4 of the way through, I was a little disappointed. There is nothing in this movie that would make me cry. But Pixar, you got me again a little bit there at the end. Seeing the end of Toy Story was accepting that my childhood was really over. I'm not a child; I'm not a teenager -- but I value those years. The Andy years.

Time is such an interesting thing. The fact that this is my 100th blog post, for example. I sat down in front of Linus 100 times on 100 different days and wrote some momentarily significant thoughts about significantly momentary events.

After dad and I took Graham for a mini-bike ride, we made eggs in a nest and french toast.

Shelty and I went to family church and then took out Thai food at a place Matti introduced to us. Afterwards, we kidnapped Matti and played spades/spicey uno/euchre with Christine at my house. Matti and I (Team Plum Telephone Booth) lost REAL bad to Team Banana Scissors. But we ate peanut butter cups, so that makes it allll worth it.

1 comment:

  1. I want to see that movie. I like the relationship you have with your dad. I remember those years too, we really are moving on though, aren't we.

    ReplyDelete