Thursday, June 3, 2010

I went to SoCal: San Diego version

Saturday Night. In San Diego, I got to MEET NEW FRIENDS/EAT CHOCOLATE/PLAY GAMES. Definitely 3 of the 5 experiences I would bring to a desert island.

Sunday. Wow, Flood is such a great church and Kevin and Spencer are great interns -- you can tell. And when I say you, I mean me. Me can tell. SPEAKING of cookie monster, Shelty and I got the beautiful privelege of working with the 3-5 year olds. We got to watch a puppet show, play games, and sing songs. Much to my chagrin, however, Hunter and Isaiah had homes and were not willing to be adopted. Memorable moments: "I'M the stepmother, and when I go to the ball, YOU have to cry." "Dear God, I pray for candy... from God. Amen." Post church included cra-zazy good burritos and many games. Mazel tov. Somewhere in the night, Shelty decided on "Bentie" as a Shelt-name for me over "BethYou." This was amidst shrieks of laughter over Matt's/Kevin's Nerts names, "Clothing" and "Tower." ALSO somewhere in there was MUCH rejoicing over Spinner's barking.

Monday. We swam. We ate sushi that cost as much as but tasted nothing like dirt. We beach combed. We went to extraordinary desserts and starred at mystery stone candles -- then we partook of cake that was something akin to mildly expensive manna. Not so much the "bread" part as the "from heaven" part. Nutella cookies and cookie dough were also made... at some point... it was kind of a blur of sugar. In a good way. Naturally. Oh. So then we went to the beach and watched the waves glow bioluminescently. Like fireworks, but from the ocean. I'm sorry, could this trip have been any cooler? Well, you might say, only if something like schools of fish were leaping out onto the shore, displaying the miraculous way that God works. Oh. Well that happened too.

Tuesday happened slow and steady... and, like a herd of turtles, Shelty, Tatti, and Bentie (that's me, world) departed. We had amazing conversation starting at 8 pm all the way up to 3 or so, when things died down as the moms were dropped off and I went home. Conversation included: at least 50 hypothetical questions, theology, dreams. Music briefly separated conversation, especially Jeff Zabel's horn honk song.

I'm so thankful for the oldies -- Spinner, Shelty, and Matty. I'm so grateful for the newsies: Kevin, Keener, and Janice.

1 comment:

  1. I love this entry. It's probably my favorite...though I am biased. I had such a great time and I can't wait until we (meaning I) get home. Oh what a summer this will be

    ReplyDelete