Sunday, June 20, 2010

pretend this post is a concert

Take your seats. Well, hopefully you're just taking one seat. It's the folding chair kind at an outdoor venue -- you'll fit just fine.

The warm up act of this post was actually the main part of my day. But it was main for me, since I experienced it. Less interesting to read about... "you had to be there"... all that. So I present to you, the warm up band, Pink Shower Toilet! Those were my/Matt/Shelty's nicknames during a game of hearts. We had gimungous portions of thai food, went to family church, and then went back to the house that Shelty is babysitting (Bicker household). We watched the first 10 minutes of The African Queen, Shelty and Matt got bored, then we played cards, played with Weston (cutest puppy grandma baby dog EVVERRR), sifted through "would you rather" questions, and finally cut out felt symbols for a coat of arms. The latter event was for Tatti, who is leaving in the morning for Hume Lake.

And now for our main event... Bethany's Embarrassing Moment! Put your hands together! I had Haiti training today -- a three hour session about medical information, conditions, and packing. Now I'm not squeamish about blood or anything -- it really doesn't affect me. But veins (arteries, etc) really, really, REALLY make me lightheaded. The concept of a vein (and of needles going into a vein) make my eyes water. It's the weirdest thing. We were finishing up with the medical portion when Jeff started talking about pressure points -- how to stop bleeding, etc. That was no big deal until he started to explain that these pressure points were this or that vein. I felt a little lightheaded, but I ignored the feeling. I've felt squeamish before, so I just dealt. Then he started talking about a "tourniquet." I'm going to be honest, he was half-way through explaining what it was when I looked down and saw that my hand was leaving a literal steam-print on the table because I was so hot and sweating so much. Everything felt fuzzy, so finally I told myself I needed to real quick go to the lobby and put my head down, just to let the blood flow without embarrassing myself. I got up and looked down as I walked out of the room, since I couldn't really see. As soon as I turned the corner into the little back lobby, I saw a table in my semi-vision and put my hand down to steady myself, but I guess I missed because a woman appeared next to me and grabbed me as I fell, half-conscious, to the ground. I had, essentially, blacked out. She had me lay down, put a cold cloth on my head (that was the point where I could see fully), and put a cold water bottle behind my neck. She brought me some water and some fruit to munch on, since I hadn't eaten much. Then I walked nonchalantly (aka reeealll conspicuously) back into the seminar.

Not So Serious Application
I will never know what a tourniquet is. Please don't bother telling me. I am so glad that there are people in the world who are medically driven. I respect them, would love to work with them, and admire their passions. I just could never BE one of them. But really, don't tell me. Ignorance is consciousness. ;)

Serious Application
Thoughts I battled: I'm the biggest light weight ever. I can't handle the concept of a vein, why am I going to a third world country? How am I going to get shots for this?

Thoughts that conquered: This trip is for God's glory, and even if I passed out ON sight, I can still do His will and be His vessel to love on people. I've only passed out one other time, in 7th grade -- it's not a regular occurrence. I am not defined by my little weaknesses.

1 comment:

  1. i almost passed out just reading about you almost passing out

    ReplyDelete